Tuesday, February 6, 2007

A Comment on Connections


So my last post received a bit of criticism from the BF. He thought that I was de-emphasizing the effect of connections on a person's career. I have to admit it did come off that way in my last post, when I was talking about my internship. I guess the point I was trying to make was that even a girl from the 'burbs can get her foot in the door if she tries really really hard.

BUT that's all an internship really is--a way of getting in. The rest is about making a good impression, and making good connections. It's tough getting your first job without a connection. I made some great connections at my internship, and followed up with them throughout my senior year. A little goes a long way; write thank you notes to people who mentored you, or, if you see them or their company (or in my case, their book) getting positive mentions in the press, write a quick e-mail saying, "Hey I saw that great write-up in the Times. Congrats!" That way they know you are interested.

I also followed up on my connections from the publishing workshop. I attended again in my senior year and felt more confident in talking with all the publishing professionals. I was planning on taking a trip to New York in the spring for some informational interviews (more on those later), and made that known to everyone I talked to. Some invited me to their offices, others gave me names of people I should meet. One woman even invited me out to drinks with her and two of her friends when I was in the city. I thought that was unusual but went anyway, just for the heck of it. Her friends were very nice; we talked books, people we had in common, and their own first jobs. They were both directors of their own departments but since we met in such a relaxed atmosphere, I wasn't intimidated.

I would have been happy just writing it off as a fun experience (with free drinks!) but a few months later, one of the women came to me with a job offer--the one I ended up accepting. I never had to sit through an awkward formal interview, which is one of the many reasons I am thankful for my connections.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home